I had a root canal retreated due to extreme pain on April 14, 2011 that was originally done in 1998. I developed a pus filled cyst the dentist drained. I went back today and he said I have a fistula draining and put me on an antibiotic. Do I have to worry about losing that tooth now or will this clear up? I so sick of this. Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - May - 2011, at 19:35 PM

• The prognosis of re-root canal is not very good as compared to the first time root canal of tooth. You got re-root canal treatment done almost 3 weeks back and ideally the fistula formation should not be there. Fistula formation indicates that there is infection still in the tooth. You are taking the prescribed antibiotics and if the fistula dissolves then you can wait and if it forms again then that means your re-root canal treatment is a failure. However exact opinion on this can only be made after clinical examination and xrays. For more info on Root canal treatment you can read this ariticle.... www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation