I asked my dentist for teeth whitening but he strongly recommended that all my eight silver fillings need to replace with white fillings first before whitening teeth. My insurance cover only 50% for it and I couldn't afford to pay all of them. Only I want a nice bright smile and I don't worry how white it is on the biting surface of my teeth anyway. Do you think my dentist is trying to rip me off? Thanks for your time.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - April - 2011, at 08:03 AM

• Your dentist is right in advising you to get the silver filling replaced with cosmetic filling before you go for teeth whitening as silver fillings may on the occlusal surface but they do stain the teeth and give greyish color to tooth. You can do first get the teeth whitenining done and then get the fillings changed as then the dentist can match the color of filling with your whitened teeth and it will give good effect and if you get the filling done before getting the whitening then there may be change in color as the fillings donot get whitened in tooth whitening procedure. With cosmetic fillings you teeth will start looking our whiter and brighter. So go for tooth whitening and if you are satisfied then go for cosmetic fillings otherwise you can leave them. For more info on tooth whitening procedures you can read this article from our website.... www.identalhub.com/dental-what-are-popular-teeth-whitening-options-595.aspx

Free Dental Consultation