I had braces put in when I was 12, then taken off when I was about 15. I am almost 19 now and I LOVE my teeth. However, I went to the dentist a couple of months ago and had x-rays done, and the hygienist told me that it looked like I had some wisdom teeth coming in, and I need to have a panoramic x-ray done to see if they need to come out. I am mainly worried that somehow my wisdom teeth (whether they stay or go) will mess up the work the braces did on my teeth. When I had my braces put on, the orthodontist never said anything about my wisdom teeth causing problems cosmetically, so now I am worried that I was jilted out of 5K$, and I will have to say goodbye to having beautiful teeth. I don't know if this applies but I do still have my retainers, and they still fit fine.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - September - 2011, at 04:02 AM

• Wisdom teeth will not have any effect on the braces treatment if there is enough space for the wisdom teeth to come.  If they are infected or are impacted, then you need to get the wisdom teeth extracted.  Wisdom teeth eruption seldom affects the orthodontic treatment. You can consult your dentist for this. He will take a panoramic radiograph to see the positioning of the wisdom teeth. If the wisdom teeth are impacted, then you can get them removed. For more info on effect of wisdom teeth on orthodontic treatment, you can refer to the following article…http://www.identalhub.com/dental-effect-of-wisdom-teeth-on-orthodontic-treatment-738.aspx

Free Dental Consultation