I have a top wisdom tooth that is giving me a little trouble. I saw a junior dentist at a practice who tapped at the tooth which at the time was a little sensitive and was quoted $2,000 to save the tooth. The owner of the practice on another day also examined the tooth and tapped and I hardly felt anything except a little twinge, he told me he thinks the nerve is dying. What can be done to save the tooth as I have lost too many now. The tooth is a wisdom tooth

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - July - 2011, at 08:20 AM

• If on tapping the tooth was sensitive or if your dentist says that nerve is dying that means the wisdom tooth is infected. Such teeth can be saved by Root Canal Treatment and dental crown on top of that and this will cost you around $2000. But normally wisdom teeth are pulled out and we donot try to save them as they donot have any role in chewing but as you have already lost too many teeth, so saving a wisdom tooth may help you lateron when you want to replace the other missing teeth as they can act as abutment for fixed bridge.  Without seeing the case clinically and radiographically, it is difficult to give you definate advice whether to save it or get it pulled out. For more info on understanding wisdom teeth you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-wisdom-teeth-152.aspx

Free Dental Consultation