My dentist today itself informed me that my braces would be taken off soon. My treatment started arnd 20months back. I had overlapping in my front teeth but now there is no overlapping present. I want to know that what is the procedure to remove the braces?? Is it painful? Is the treatment over, once the braces are taken off?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - August - 2012, at 04:10 AM

• Dear LOIS, Retainers, as the name suggest, as the appliances that are used to maintain the new position of the teeth. They prevent relapse of the orthodontic treatment. So, it is mandatory to wear a retainer for full time for initial 6 months and after that for night wear only. If you won't get the retainers then most likely your braces treatment will be in vain.

• Lois Orr

Lois Orr 29 - August - 2012, at 12:17 PM

• Wht if you dont get the retainer?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - August - 2011, at 05:31 AM

• When you are informed by your dentist that you will have your braces taken off soon, it is surely a time to feel excited and nervous at the same time. You might have questions in your mind about what happens after Braces are taken off?  The first thing for you to keep in mind is that it is far simpler for the braces to be taken off then for the braces to be put on. After months and years of having your braces on you, you are now about to have the most beautiful teeth and gorgeous smile ever. The thing to keep in mind is that the dentist will use pliers to go on and remove the clip that is on the back of the braces. There are special pliers that are used for this. This is in order to go on and break the adhesive that has bonded your braces to your tooth. This can make a clipping off sound but it is not painful at all and will certainly not hurt you.

The bonding materials that held the braces together are gently removed or peeled off from the brackets. The wires and brackets are removed. What remains still on your teeth is the layer of bonding material that was used. This is known as bonding plastic. Then, the dentist will go on to use a high speed hand piece to remove the plastic off your teeth. Later, the enamel of the teeth is polished in order to make it look smooth and white.

What happens after Braces are taken off is that you are left with the dream smile that you have always wanted to have for yourself. The next thing after what happens after Braces are taken off is that you do need to get ready to wear retainers. After having spent so much of effort and time on the braces and a good deal of money as well, you certainly don’t want all of the effort to go to waste and nullify.

The braces are off your teeth but you will need to wear braces for the next year or so. This is the only way that you can guarantee that your teeth are not going to move back into their original position. The thing to keep in mind is that you will have to wear your retainers and follow the orthodontist’s instructions down to the T. This will enable you to be able to continue to retain your smile forever and look great at all times.

There are retainers that need to be worn only at night. This can be a great boon as you can put them on and forget all about them as you catch your nine winks. Also, there are three different kinds of retainers and you might want to ask your orthodontist about which one is right for you. All of this will ensure that your braces treatment is successful

Free Dental Consultation