I haven't been to the dentist in about 15 years. I have tartar buildup on some teeth, especially the back of the lower front teeth. I also have black along the gumlines of some teeth. Do you think they can be saved? What would they do?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - April - 2011, at 19:22 PM

• Tarter buildup and plaque deposition is a common problem if regular 6 monthly cleaning in detnal office is not done. For this the treatment is go get the cleaning done so that the tarter is removed. The extent of scaling depends on deposits on teeth and if there is also bone resorption then you have to go for deep scaling and root planning (SCRP) and may be to save the teeth, you may have to go for flap surgery. The treatment plan can only be decided only after clinical examination and after evaluating the xrays. If there are just deposits and there is no mobility of teeth and bone resportion is less then only scaling will be helpful. For more info on dental scaling you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/dental-why-root-scaling-and-planning-is-good--716.aspx

Free Dental Consultation