Hi and thank you. Recently, I've noticed that one of my masseter muscles is much stronger and larger on one side than the other. The larger side coincides with the side that my lower jaw seems to shift towards due to my bad under bite. My jaw even seems to prefer hanging to the left when I open my mouth wide which can be rather uncomfortable. If I fix my bite, will my jaw even itself out, or is the asymmetry genetic? I already know that it is not due to the bone as I had an x-ray done, so I was hoping perhaps dental work could fix my problem... Thanks again!

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - April - 2011, at 09:54 AM

• If asymmetrical jaw opening is there and there is bad bite then it can be fixed by adjusting the bite but first you have to visit the dentist and get find out the cause of the asymmetrical jaw opening. Sometimes it is genetic and sometimes it can be because of improper bite. Your dentist will do clinical examination and take a series of xrays and may moulds and after that the treatment plan will be decided. To fix the bite you may have to go for braces treatment.

Free Dental Consultation