Several weeks ago, I started getting sensitivity at the gumline of tooth #3 (old crown) and #4 (crown is about 3 years old). They are not sensitive to cold or hot but the gums and the crown itself become really sensitive whenever I eat something (food touches the gumline) but I can brush and floss those teeth with no problem. I think the sensitivity started 2 months after I switched to Sonicare toothbrush. Sonicare toothbrush is too strong for me but it makes my teeth really clean. I stopped using the Sonicare toothbrush but the sensitivity continues even with sensodyne toothpaste. My dentist said the crown are still good and don't know why it would be sensitive. Should I see a periodontist? Thank you in advance for any help.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - June - 2011, at 19:38 PM

• Sensitivity at the gumline can be due to two reasons. Either it is due to cervical abrasion at the gum line or because of injury to gums. In your case you have not written whether the teeth which were crowned are root canal treated or not. If they are root canal treated then sensitivity cannot be due to cervical abrasion. In your case it looks like it is because of irritation of the gums after using electric toothbrush. There is definate difference in use of electric and manual tooth and if electric is not used properly then it can really injure the gums. Now you can either wait for some time and give some time to gums to heal and in the meanwhile you can do warm saline rinses and massage the gums with some otc gum paint or you can visit a periodontist. For more info on home remedies on gums problems you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/dental-natural-remedies-for-gum-diseases-560.aspx

Free Dental Consultation