I had 4 Wisdom teeth extracted on the 18th of December. The procedure went well, and recovery was normal. I have no visible issues with any of the extraction sites. Around 4 days ago, however, I noticed a significantly increased sensitivity to cold in the tooth adjacent to the lower right extraction site. Is this simply a case of the nerve becoming more exposed, which will resolve itself as the healing continues, or is this a potential infection that I may want to get checked? Thanks for your help.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - January - 2012, at 01:28 AM

• After tooth extraction, gums may recede and the cementoenamel junction (CEJ) of adjacent tooth can get exposed which can lead to sensitivity to cold food stuffs. With healing of gums and extraction socket, recession of gums usually rectifies and no sensitivity occurs. You can use a desensitizing tooth paste to reduce teeth sensitivity. If tooth sensitivity doesn’t get corrected, then you can visit your dentist for evaluation. Tooth wear, gum recession and decay of tooth can also lead to sensitivity to cold food stuffs. If tooth decay is reason of tooth sensitivity, then restoration of tooth will be done and if wear of tooth has caused tooth sensitivity, then restoration or dental crown may also be required. For faster healing of extraction socket to take place, continue with warm saline rinses and keep extraction socket area clean. Food accumulates in extraction socket area will interfere with healing. For more info on tooth extraction healing, refer to……   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-healing-of-the-extraction-socket-874.aspx

Free Dental Consultation