I have a cavity in a tooth that has been there for some time. While eating a piece of food stuck me around the tooth and now my cheek has swollen. There is no pain whatsoever, but the swelling is a concern. What should be at this point?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - December - 2011, at 03:23 AM

• Impingement of some hard food stuff on gums can lead to gingival abscess. By impaction of some sharp food stuff, gums will appear red, swollen and extremely painful and impacted foreign object may still be embedded in the gums. Swelling of gums and cheeks can also occur because of food accumulates in cavity and infection in the tooth. If gingival abscess has occurred, then cause of abscess is removed and drainage can be established with warm saline rinses. If there is cavity in the tooth and tooth is infected, then you require treatment of infected tooth. If the nerve of the tooth is not exposed, then restoration with composite filling material can be done. Composite is tooth colored, esthetic filling material. If the pulp of the tooth is also exposed, then you need root canal treatment of tooth. After root canal treatment, dental crown can be given. If you don’t get treatment done for your tooth with cavity, then plaque and food accumulates will occur in it and decay will deepen further and will cause pain. You have to visit your dentist to get treatment done of decayed tooth. For more info on dental caries, refer to….    http://www.identalhub.com/article_causes-and-symptoms-of-dental-caries-229.aspx

Free Dental Consultation