My lower gums are bleeding and appear to be receding. Many times I taste blood and notice that in between my teeth at the gum I am bleeding. I floss and brush regularly. The bleeding happens when I brush but also seems to happen during the day for no reason. I have no dental insurance so I would like to know if this is a big enough concern to warrant me paying for a dentist visit on my own. Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - November - 2011, at 01:20 AM

• Bleeding gums is a sign of gingivitis. It can occur because of plaque and tartar deposits around the teeth or can occur because of vitamin C deficiency. Plaque and food accumulates cause gum bleeding and also cause recession of gums. Recession of gums can also occur because of forceful tooth brushing, traumatic bite present or teeth grinding. Bleeding for no reason can be because of gum infection present. To avoid bleeding of gums, you are suppose to maintain good oral hygiene. Brush and floss regularly to avoid food deposits in relation to teeth. You can also use a mild antiseptic mouth wash to reduce bacteria in the mouth. If there is swelling of gums present, then you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. If bleeding from gums is because of vitamin C deficiency, then take more of lemonades or vitamin C supplements. If there is sensitivity present due to recession of gums, then you can use a desensitizing tooth paste. If there is moderate or severe gum recession present, then periodontal surgery is required. You have to visit a dentist to get your teeth evaluated. To remove deposits, dental cleaning and root planning may also be required. If you don’t have insurance, then you can visit a dental school where treatment is provided at low cost. For more info on gum recession, refer to….    http://www.identalhub.com/article_treatment-and-causes-of-gum-recession-887.aspx

Free Dental Consultation