I have a few dilemmas, I went in for a root canal and a filling was placed on my front tooth causing it to look slightly longer than the one next to it. I want my smile to look straight so the dentist suggested to place a filling on the other tooth so that both teeth look even, but he said that i run a risk of the teeth chipping. Would i be able to reshape my teeth so that my smile looks even? Also, i have a bridge that was placed about 5 yrs ago and i didnt have any discomfort, but when i went in for a check up i found out that the tooth holding the bridge was decaying due to the bridge not being in place the correct way there was a small gap that the dentist didnt see where food was coming in (this whole time food was accumulating causing the tooth to decay) so now they want to pull that tooth out and make a new bridge. Is this type of neglect the doctors fault? Should i seek a different opinion?

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 17 - June - 2011, at 19:28 PM

  • Yes you can go for smile makeover by getting the teeth reshaped. There is no need to get the filling done in adjacent teeth to make it look longer but you can get the tooth reshaped which is built with composite and is looking longer and affecting your smile. As far as the problem of food impaction with bridge is concerned there should not be any gap between the bridge and teeth for the food implaction but at the same time the patient should also visit the dentist 6 monthly to get the checkup done so that if any problem is there then it can be resolved in the begining only. If the tooth which is holding the bridge is decayed and cannot be restored then it has to be pulled out otherwise after restoration it can be used as abutment but in any case a new bridge has to be made. If you are not convinced then you can have second opinion. For more info you can read this article on oral care with crowns and bridges... www.identalhub.com/article_care-of-crowns-271.aspx

Free Dental Consultation