2 days ago i had gone to see a dentist and he x-rayed my tooth and the result was a absessed tooth. Mind you i was in very much pain and swelling on my face were the infected tooth was. well he just went ahead and pulled it. My question is shouldn't he of first gave me antibiotics first, then wait till the infection was gone and then pull my tooth?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - October - 2011, at 23:44 PM

• In case of acute alveolar abscess, antibiotics are given initially to reduce the infection in the tooth and to reduce swelling. Antibiotics are usually given when the treatment needs to be delayed and to avoid worsening of infection. Drainage of abscess is to be done in case of acute alveolar abscess which can be either established from the pulp chamber through root canal treatment or through gums. To drain abscess, tooth extraction may also be required to remove the infection.  It’s not always necessary to give an antibiotic before tooth extraction of abscessed tooth. There is abscess present in the tooth and by pulling out the tooth, infection that is abscess will be treated on its own.  For more info on abscessed tooth, you can refer to… http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation