Hi, I went to my dentist 3 months ago as part of my white pocelain filling had come out. My tooth was not sore at all it just felt strange if I put my tounge over it. Well he fixed it but within a month it had fallen out again. It fell out literally 3 times in the 3 months. I went again a week ago and this time he gave me 5 injections drilled a bit of discolleration off the side of my tooth and re-filled it. Now that tooth is extremely painfull. I cannot eat on it, brush it or floss it. I went back to tell him and now he says I need a root treatment. Strange thing is that the tooth was not sore to start with until he fiddled intensley with it. I have spent thousands of rands on that tooth and have no more money to go back for root canal. It almost seems like he damaged my tooth. What do I do now? I am in such pain, and have to basically have a liquid diet. Can you help? Regards Melanie

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - October - 2011, at 01:57 AM

• Pain in the tooth can be there if the dentist drilled too deep and perforated the pulp which has the nerve or can be because of infection in the nerve. If pulp of tooth is exposed or there is infection in the tooth, then root canal treatment is done to remove the infection.  You need to get root canal treatment done for your infected tooth. There might be small filling present initially which kept falling and to provide retention of filling, the dentist may have drilled bit deep and now it may be causing pain due to  filling being close to nerve or perforation of dental pulp. It might be because of extension of infection to the pulp.  There is no alternative to root canal therapy if the infection has reached the nerve. You have to get root canal treatment done to save the tooth. If you  have cost constrains, then you can approach any of the dental schools near your place where treatment provided is cheap. For the time being, you can avoid eating from that side of the tooth and avoid any food accumulates in that area which can aggravate the pain. Placing a clove over the infected tooth may provide some relief. For more info on root canal treatment, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-root-canal-therapy-rct-102.aspx

Free Dental Consultation