My boyfriend had 2 of his wisdom teeth taken out approx. 2 years ago. His dentist told him at the time that he only had 3 (the third is still in his mouth) and that the 4th one, if it hasn't come in yet it wont be coming in at all. He has a sort of hole with something white inside which looks to me like a tooth coming in. This is located where the 4th tooth was "supposed" to be. He no longer has dental insurance and I am convinced it's the last wisdom tooth but he claims it's an ulcer or something along that line. Could this possibly be his 4th wisdom tooth? He is currently 22 years old.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - March - 2011, at 19:58 PM

• It can be 4th wisdom tooth because if 3 wisdom teeth are present then it is unlikely that 4th wisdom tooth is missing. For getting is confirmed you have to go to dentist and get xray done. But if it is an ulcer, it has to be painful and ulcer is normally above the gum and it is self limiting i.e. it heals itself in 7-8 days. As per your description, it looks like a molar only. If there is no pain or swelling then you can wait for sometime. If it is wisdom tooth then it will come out if there is sufficient space and its angulation is correct. If he does have dental insurance then he can show it to some free dental clinics oraganised by dentists to get it diagnosed or can try some dental school near your home where treatment  is cheap and sometimes even free. For more info on wisdom teeth problems you can read this article...

Free Dental Consultation