Two nights ago I woke up with intense pain on my right side from what I thought was a cavity- it turns out I was clenching my jaw & grinding my teeth so hard that it was causing me pain & woke me up. I have had this problem in the past, & used to wear a fitted night guard my dentist recommended, but I lost it when I moved & didn't think I still had this problem as much anymore. Now I've been taking round-the-clock ibuprofen for the pain, my jaw is very sore & the teeth on my right upper side hurt anytime I bear down on them. Should I go in to see my dentist or should I wait it out to see if the pain lessens in a few days? Oh & I've since bought a new night guard at a pharmacy & have been using it the past few nights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - November - 2011, at 00:38 AM

• Grinding of teeth at night is known as bruxism. It can occur because of stress or anxiety or can occur because of traumatic bite present. It causes soreness of jaw, headaches, sensitivity of teeth etc. Teeth grinding can cause wearing of the tooth structure which may involve dental pulp and cause soreness of tooth. If dental pulp is also involved due to tooth wearing, then you will require root canal treatment. You have to visit your dentist to get your teeth evaluated. Your dentist may take an x-ray to see that whether dental pulp is involved in sore teeth or not.  Its better if you get a custom made mouth guard from a dentist than using the mouth guard which you got from pharmacy. Mouth guard should be made according to patient’s teeth and alignment of his teeth. Mouth guard absorbs the chewing forces and prevent damage to teeth and surrounding tissues. Main causes of teeth grinding are stress or traumatic bite. You need to reduce your stress levels. If there is traumatic bite present which is causing teeth grinding, then dentist can correct it.  By the time, you visit your dentist you can take OTC pain meds. For more info on teeth grinding, refer to…

Free Dental Consultation