I recently had a fever and "symptoms" that came along with this were very sore, swollen gums that bleed when brushed, and multiple canker sores on my lip. I also had swollen tonsils but it is not strep. Even though the fever is gone, the symptoms are still here. Any thoughts on what it is and how I can get rid of all this?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - January - 2012, at 02:45 AM

• Sore throat or throat infection can progress and lead to fever, swollen gums and can lead to canker sores. Streptococci or other pathogenic bacteria can lead to throat infections. Viral or Candida infection can also lead to sore throat. Some allergic reaction can also lead to these symptoms. Acute gum infection can also lead to swelling and soreness of gums and canker sores. There is no definite cause of canker sores but it is known that bacterial infections, vitamin deficiency, allergies etc can lead to canker sores.  Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. If there is throat infection present, then you can visit your physician for treatment. If there is acute gum infection present which has lead to these symptoms, then dental cleaning and or periodontal surgery will be required to correct it. In case of gum infection, maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly and also use a mouth wash. You can also do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the gum swelling. Canker sores are self limiting and will heal on its own in 7-10 days. If canker sores are causing pain, then you can apply orajel over it. Take OTC multivitamins and take plenty of fluids and rest. For more info on canker sores, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_canker-sore-234.aspx

Free Dental Consultation