What do i need to do if food or cold water hurts my molars? Also if my wisdom teeth are growing, could that be a cause of why my molars hurt?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - December - 2011, at 01:53 AM

• Sensitivity to cold food stuffs and pain, soreness on chewing can be because of decay of molar or can be there because of exposure of root surface of the tooth. Tooth wear can also lead to tooth sensitivity.  Initial dental caries causes no pain but when the decay reaches the dentin, then there is sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs. When decay reaches the pulp portion of the tooth, then the tooth becomes painful. Sensitivity can also be there because of gum recession. If gums recession has taken place,  then use of desensitizing tooth paste, restoration, and periodontal surgery is done depending on amount of gums recession which is present.  If there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt, then it can become impacted and can cause problems. Impacted wisdom tooth can cause pain in the adjacent molars. Impacted wisdom tooth can cause decay of other teeth especially the adjacent molars as it becomes difficult to clean the area. Impacted wisdom tooth can also cause pain in the gums and swelling of the gums and jaw and causes headache and bad taste and odor in mouth. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and if they are impacted or are infected, then no treatment is required for them and they are pulled out. You can visit your dentist for evaluation. Your dentist will take an x-ray to see the positioning of wisdom tooth and will decide that whether extraction of wisdom tooth is required or not. If the adjacent molar has decayed, then restoration is required for the tooth. If decay has reached the dentin, then composite restoration can be given for the tooth which is tooth colored, esthetic filling material. If much of tooth structure is decayed, then dental crown may also be required. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite diagnosis. You can visit your dentist for definite diagnosis and treatment. By the time you visit your dentist, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day to reduce the swelling due to erupting wisdom tooth. Make sure to clean till the back of jaw and keep the wisdom tooth area clean. For more info on wisdom teeth, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation