I have a bridge that's been in my mouth for about 8 years. I went to the dentist today and he said I had a cavity under my bridge. He said I would have to have it filled and a new bridge made. Is this normal? Why can't they just remove the bridge and fill the cavity and put the bridge back on?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - November - 2011, at 03:20 AM

• Cavity can occur below dental bridge. By accumulation of plaque and calculus deposits on areas beyond edges of dental bridge, dental cavity can start. To remove cavities from tooth, dental bridge will be removed and dental caries can be restored by the dentist. If caries are deep, then root canal treatment will be required. Infection must have occurred because of gum recession followed by deposits on area beyond edges. After infection in tooth with dental bridge, new dental bridge is made. If dental bridge becomes loose and fall off, then old dental bridge can be given to the patient but in case of infection below dental bridge, new dental bridge is made. After filling the cavities which are present below the dental bridge, fit of dental bridge is affected so new dental bridge is required. For more info on problems after crown placement, refer to…    http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation