I broke a molar on the lower right side went to the denisit had teeth cleaned and tooth looked at said I needed a root canal and crown less than a week later thought I had an infection no pain just hot inside mouth and swelling had tooth cleaned out meds put in tooth and temp cap also on antibotics week latter my top gums on right top side still swollen no pain no signs of infection just swollen never had swollen gums befor

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - August - 2011, at 04:51 AM

• What we understand from your question is that you got a root canal therapy and capping done for your broken tooth and there is swelling in the gums after you got the temporary crown. When the tooth is broken and pulp is exposed then it is necessary to do root canal therapy followed by capping. During tooth preparation, gums may have got injured or irritated which must have caused swelling in the gums. Swelling can also be there because of poor oral hygiene. There is no pain in the tooth which means that root canal therapy is fine. You can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day which will reduce the swelling in the gums. You have to maintain good oral hygiene to prevent any kind of gum infections. Use interdental brush in the area of crown to prevent infections. For more info on maintaining good oral hygiene you can refer to the following article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation