My son has a bad cavity in his back right bottom molar. He is 18 and his wisdom teeth have not come in yet. The dentist says that the tooth is bad and the cavity goes to the root. He wants to do a root canal on this tooth costing $1400. My cost with insurance is over $700. My question is wouldn't it be better to pull out this sick tooth that he may lose anyway to make room for a new healthy wisdom tooth to take its place? The dentist says the wisdom tooth is in line but slightly angled downward at the front of the tooth and may not come in straight. I have always been told by other dentists and older people that teeth have a way of adjusting themselves. My father had a wisdom tooth fill in a lost molar with no problem many years ago.... What should we do? I don't think the insurance will cover x-rays for a second opinion.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - September - 2011, at 04:25 AM

• It is always better to save a tooth than getting the tooth pulled out.  If the second molar is non restorable and can’t be saved, then the dentist can pull out the second molar and can let the wisdom tooth come in its place.  But this depends on many factors.  You can ask your dentist if the wisdom tooth can take place of second molar after tooth extraction. If the wisdom tooth can take place of second molar after extraction, then you can get it pulled out.  If the wisdom tooth can’t take place of second molar, then you need to save the second molar by root canal treatment followed by crown. If there is loss of much of tooth structure, then post and core followed by crown may be required. If you have cost constrains, then you can approach any of the dental schools near your place where treatment provided is cheap or you can discuss with your dentist if you can pay in installments. For more info on root canal treatment, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-root-canal-therapy-rct-102.aspx

Free Dental Consultation