I had one of my two top front center front teeth removed 3 years ago and a dental implant placed (it had been damaged when I was 14 and I was basically doing this for cosmetic reasons). At the time I was not really aware that I had a named condition called bruxism. I clench my teeth. I was told that implants have a 95% success rate and for the first 3 years it was fine. But about 5 months ago I noticed it seemed to feel a little strange -- not pain -- just strange. I went to the dentist and he decided to "open it up". He told me it "didn't look good" and he had to do another bone graft as the first had seemed to fail. He said there were "spiral fractures. The tooth was not loose. However, ever since that surgery, my tooth has felt like a square peg in a round hole. It feels odd and tight and when I chew I feel horizontal movement in it above the tooth. Well, after hours of research, I determined that I was in fact a teeth clencher -- no doubt -- and that this is likely the culprit of my problem. I have an appointment set up to go see my regular dentist to get my bite evened out again (it is alway "off") and to get fitted for a mouth guard (which is what the periodontist sort of suggested -- he asked if I wore a mouth guard at night). But now I'm just devastated that tis is going to happen again and I'm going to end up losing the implant and other teeth as well. Do you have any advise? Will the mouth guard be enough? Will the bite correction help with the odd feeling I have now? Will I ever be able to chew without my teeth feeling like they are moving every time I bite? Can this effect my other teeth?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - June - 2010, at 10:51 AM

• First of all you have to get your bite adjusted because every time when you bite and you feel that the lower teeth are striking against the upper implants then it is not good for the prognosis of the imlants. Get the bite adjusted and if you have bruxism then definitely you have to go for the mouth guard.If you want to know more about the dental implants you can visit the follwing link on our website.......http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-can-be-dental-implant-problems-559.aspx

Free Dental Consultation