Hi, my name is Monica. I was wondering if I am going to need braces. I am 12 years old, turning 13 in early September. Here are my problems: 1. I have a large gap between my two front teeth and I can fit my tounge in it sideways. 2. It causes my upper cainine teeth to be very high on the gums. 3. My top and bottom teeth don't align. 4. My jaw makes a cracking sound when I talk or chew. 5. My teeth are somewhat bucked but not that bad. Thank you for your help!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - August - 2011, at 01:55 AM

• If your teeth are not aligned properly and there is gap in your two front teeth, then you can go for braces treatment. If the defects are minor, they can be corrected with cosmetic dentistry also. In braces treatment, braces are put which will align the teeth and close the gap. It is a long treatment and may take 18 to 24 months. In cosmetic dentistry, composite build up, crowns or veneers are given. The treatment option depends upon the extent of malalignment and the gap present. You can discuss these options with your dentist.  The cracking sound on talking and chewing can be because of temporomandibular joint problem. You need to consult an oral surgeon for this. By physio and massage, the TMJ defects can be rectified. Braces treatment can also correct tmj defect. For more info on need of dental braces, you can refer to the following article…http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-is-the-need-for-dental-braces--619.aspx

Free Dental Consultation