I had 4 extractions done within the last 24hrs (teeth closer to front of mouth). I have followed all instructions correctly & everything seems normal up to this point, however, I notice that the top 2 seem identical in healing, now has some white looking tissue covering it, but the bottom 2 look different. Lower right tooth looks like it has a gooey tissue of almost tan color (that I can't tell if it's a tiny piece of mushroom that I had in a soft meal the evening before-hours after the extractions) but SEEMS to be connected to clot in socket. I very gently touched it w/ a Q-Tip to see if it was food but seems to be attached so I left it alone. And, the lower left extraction site looks like a dark red film covering it, with only a little white outlining one side of it. I have no excess bleeding or really any much that I've noticed, so are these descriptions of normal clots & healing?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - January - 2012, at 01:43 AM

• White stuff in tooth extraction site can be there because of healing of extraction socket. From exposure to saliva for a long time, remnants of fibrin blood clot will appear white. Sometimes there is also a smell present which is because of natural consequence of blood clot fermentation in warm, moist atmosphere. Lower left extraction socket must be looking dark red because of blood clot and blood clot of right lower side would be looking tan because of healing process of tooth extraction socket or because of food accumulates in socket. They don’t indicate presence of any infection. Healing of tooth extraction socket depends on amount of trauma to the investing tissues during tooth extraction. If it is  a simple tooth extraction, then extraction socket will heal completely in 10-14 days and if it was a surgical or complicated tooth extraction, then it may take weeks to months for tooth extraction socket to heal completely. For faster healing of tooth extraction socket, follow the instructions of your dentist and take the meds as prescribed. After 24 hours, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. For more info on tooth extraction healing, refer to……  http://www.identalhub.com/dental-healing-of-the-extraction-socket-874.aspx

Free Dental Consultation