I had a bottom molar extracted 6 days ago. It was a difficult extraction and took close to an hour. The site was stitched and all proper procedures were followed (no straws, no rinsing, etc.) However, since the extraction the pain has been consistent. I can only describe it as a throbbing pressure which is most noticeable in my front teeth and all along to jaw. I visited the dentist and he said the site appears to be healing, but the pain has still not subsided. I am also taking Clydamyacin and Ibuprofen several times a day. It does not relieve the pain, but makes it tolerable so I can work. Is this normal? Would the dentist be able to identify a dry socket through the stitches? Should X-rays be done to check for infection? I am unable to sleep through the night and am concerned that there is a greater issue here.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - May - 2011, at 19:50 PM

• In difficult extraction where lot of bone cutting has to be done, it takes long to heal the extraction site. So wait for another 3-4 days for healing to take place. The dentist can assess the situation even thru stitches and so if he is sure that healing is taking place then you have to wait and watch. Now you can start with warm saline rinses as it will help in healing and reducing pain. Keep taking your meds regularly as you are already on antibiotics, the chances of dry socket are quite less. In such situations where lot of bone cutting has been done, there the pain is quite normal as the area is very tender. It will take around 6 weeks to 3 months for complete healing to take place. For more info on do's and dont's after tooth extraction you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation