I has a root canal done yesterday on a front tooth (#25, I believe) due to an abcess caused by a trauma. The pain before was a very intense throbbing that radiated throughout my front teeth. The procedure was completed yesterday with a temporary filling, but the throbbing has not subsided. I was previously on antibiotics, but was advised to stop taking them. Is this throbbing/heartbeart sensation typical 24 hours later? I was expecting some immediate relief from all the pressure/pain on my front teeth, but as I mentioned, the pain has not subsided yet.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - May - 2011, at 19:27 PM

• It is normal to have pain after getting the single sitting root canal treatment done for 2-3 days post operatively. The tooth takes time to settle down and to heal. So throbbing pain immediately after root canal treatment is normal. You can take pain killer tabs to relieve it. As you have already taken antibiotics, avoid eating or bitting from this tooth for 1-2 days till the pain subsides and maintain very good oral hygiene. Donot irritate this tooth any further. If the pain is there even after one week or if it is increasing in intensity or there is any swelling then you can visit dentist. For more info on problems after root canal treatment you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation