First I went in for small filling on upper left 2nd molar 1 month ago. Ever since then I have crazy pain when I eat or drink hot or cold. Last week dentist could not understand why I had pain cause it was such a small filling but after examination he started a root canal saying that this will relieve any sensitivity and I would get immediate relief . It's been about 6 days now and I have excruciating pain 24/7 I'm taking both Morton 800 and Tylenol codeine #300 and amoxacilyn but no relief what's so ever. This morning the dr checked me. First he pushed hard on the gums around the area and I felt no pain. Then he pushed hard with his finger on the tooth and I felt no pain. The dr could not believe it. He then touched the tooth with a pick and I had pain. He proceeded to open the tooth by taking out the temporary filling without novacane and saw no puss and no infection. He claims I just don't tolerate pain very well. He also said he will not even attempt to finish the root canal until my pin subsides. Could my dentist be missing something? I'm just not buying when he said that it's just that I can't handle pain that well cause on a scale of 1-10 my pain was at an 11! 24 hours a day ever since that first treatment. What could it be what can I do??? Please help I'm a nervous wreck in so much pain.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - October - 2011, at 04:32 AM

• Pain can be because of infection in the tooth or gums or can be because of some other infected tooth in the oral cavity. As your dentist checked that there is no infection in the tooth or gums, then pain can be because of some other infected or cracked tooth or may be eruption of wisdom tooth.  It is sometimes normal to have pain after cleaning and shaping of canals which may last for 6-7 days. Filling of canals can’t be done till the pain subsides. You can take the meds as prescribed by your dentist and do warm saline rinses for some relief. Avoid eating from that side for few days. Pain will probably regress in few days. If the pain continues even after 3-4 days, then you can consult your dentist regarding this. You can also take opinion of a second dentist. Without clinical examination, we can’t give definite diagnosis. You have to refer to your dentist for this. For more info on complications and care after root canal therapy, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation