I have gum recession on one of my lower canines. There is root exposure and the gum is paper thin where it has receded. If i got a gum graft, how long would it take to recover and how long would i be unable to play the trumpet? The recession is not inbetween the teeth and the papillae are at normal heights.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - November - 2011, at 03:07 AM

• If recession of gums is severe, then gingival grafts are given to correct it. Tissues for gum grafting can be taken from roof of the mouth or surrounding tissues of the body. Superficial healing will take place in 7-10 days after placing gum grafts and complete healing of gum grafts take 9-16 weeks to heal completely depending on thickness of graft which is present. Thicker graft will take longer time to heal than a graft of intermediate thickness. With lapse of time, graft will blend with the surrounding tissues and gums will appear healthy. Recession of gums can occur because of poor oral hygiene, faulty tooth brushing, tooth malpositioning in dental arch, traumatic bite, clenching or grinding of teeth. To avoid gum recession, it is important that you maintain good oral hygiene, don’t brush too forcefully and if there is traumatic bite present which is the cause of gum recession, then get it corrected.  By the time you get surgery done, you can use a desensitizing tooth paste to reduce sensitivity which must be present due to root exposure. For more info on gingival graft for treatment of gum recession, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-how-gingival-graft-help-in-gingival-recession--715.aspx

Free Dental Consultation