I had a root canal done 2 years ago and its starting to hurt really bad and I dont have any insurance. What can I do and its also black now? Is there any special tooth paste I can use because it hurts when I bite down or brush my teeth.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - January - 2012, at 01:03 AM

• There should be no pain 2 years after root canal treatment. Pain after that long can be there because of root canal failure or can occur because of cracked root canal treated tooth. In case of poor case selection or if root canal treatment is not done properly, then it can lead to failure of root canal treatment. Missed canal, curved canals, resistant bacteria in root canal, defective or incomplete restoration, cracked root can lead to root canal failure. In case of root canal failure, root canal re-treatment, Apicoectomy is required for the tooth. If prognosis of root canal re-treatment or Apicoectomy is poor, then extraction followed by replacement of missing tooth with dental implants or dental bridge may also be required for the tooth. If there is infection in the tooth, then no tooth paste will work. You can visit your dentist for evaluation and treatment. If you have cost constrains, then you can visit a dental school where treatment is done by dental students under supervision of experienced dentists. You can also look for free dental clinics near you or can talk to your local dentist if you can pay in installments for treatment. By the time, you visit your dentist, avoid eating from side of affected tooth and maintain good oral hygiene to avoid any secondary infections. For more info on root canal failure, refer to….     http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-if-root-canal-treatment-fails-303.aspx

Free Dental Consultation