Hello I am 17 years old and I have noticed I have a hole on my 2nd molar and I have a smaller hole near the side of it near the gum area and it has been hurting alot but I am afraid of what the dentists will do . Do you think they will have to pull the tooth?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - December - 2011, at 01:44 AM

• Hole in the tooth doesn’t mean that the tooth needs to be pulled out. If there is hole in the tooth, then it can be restored. If the nerve of the tooth is not exposed, then tooth can be restored with composite filling material which is tooth colored, esthetic filling material and if the nerve of the tooth is exposed, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown will be required. In root canal treatment procedure, infectious portion of the tooth is removed and is replaced with filling material. If tooth is badly mutilated, then root canal treatment followed by post and core and dental crown will be given. Dental post is inserted in root of the tooth and will provide strength to the tooth. If tooth is unrestorable, then only tooth extraction will be required. If tooth extraction is done, then the missing tooth can be replaced with dental implants or dental bridge. You have to visit your dentist to get treatment done for the affected tooth. Cavity in the tooth will deepen further if you don’t get restoration done. By the time you get the tooth restored, you can keep a clove over the affected tooth or can keep a cotton swab saturated with turmeric powder in the cavity. Avoid any food accumulates and deposits in the cavity to avoid pain. You can also use a commercially available temporary filling material and fill the cavity with it for the time being to avoid any deposits in cavity and after a day or two; you can visit your dentist and get the filling replaced. For more info on dental caries, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_causes-and-symptoms-of-dental-caries-229.aspx

Free Dental Consultation