Hello, Thanks for your assistance. I've had a cap on a tooth for long time. It's gone dark and looks as though it may be dead. Now the gums are receding a past the line of the cap a little revealing the dark, possibly dead, tooth underneath. So I'm wondering what should be my considerations and options for this tooth be? Also there is no feeling or any pain, so it's not an emergency though I'm becoming more concerned about the aesthetic since you can start to see the tooth underneath. thank so much, patrick

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 09 - January - 2012, at 00:53 AM

  • Plaque and calculus deposits around teeth can lead to gingival inflammation and gums around the tooth may recede causing display of metal part of crown if porcelain fused to metal dental crown is present. Dental crown may show a change in color over a period of time. If root canal treatment of capped tooth is not done and tooth has become non-vital, then root canal treatment can be done for the tooth. For gingival recession and discolored dental crown, crown replacement and or gingival surgery is required for correction. You can visit your dentist to get treatment done. If it is a front tooth, then you can get your old dental crown replaced with porcelain dental crowns or new porcelain fused to metal dental crown. If it is a back tooth, then you can get old dental crown replaced with PFM dental crown or metallic dental crown. For more info on problems after crown placement, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation