I had my wisdom teeth removed on thursday and they still hurt right now and I don't know what to do

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - September - 2011, at 01:49 AM

• Pain and discomfort for 6-7 days after wisdom tooth extraction is normal. Depending on the procedure which is used for extraction of wisdom tooth, pain may last for few days or weeks. You can do warm saline rinses which will fasten the healing process of socket and will provide some relief. Take the pain meds as prescribed by your dentist and follow his instructions. Keep the extraction socket area clean to avoid any secondary infections. Intensity of pain will start regressing in few days. If the pain is severe, throbbing and radiating, then it can be because of dry socket. In case of dry socket, there is clot dislodgement which causes severe pain and exposure of bone occurs. Along with severe throbbing pain, bad odor is present from the mouth. If there is severe pain and discomfort, then you need to consult an oral surgeon for this. In case of dry socket, after cleaning the socket, dressing is given to the patient for pain relief.  For more info on care after wisdom tooth extraction, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_care-after-wisdom-tooth-extraction-258.aspx

Free Dental Consultation