I got an orthodontic treatment done when I was 10 for crowding of teeth and my 1st premolars were extracted. now I am 22 and my upper incisors are getting proclined, my upper 3rd molars are fully erupted and lowers are partially erupted. now if I undergo treatment again, will my molars be extracted? As there is hardly any space between my teeth. Is it all right to get 1st molars extracted for orthodontic treatment? will it not cause any other trouble (like tmj problem) ?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - April - 2010, at 20:20 PM

• It is not always that teeth are extracted for Orthodontic treatment. As you already got the first premolars extacted and your teeth were once realigned, so if minor proclination of the anterior teeth is there then no need for further extraction. Your orthodontist can create the space by minor adjustments. So you have to visit your orthodontist and get the opinion. First molar extraction will create lot of space and it is difficult to fill that space and rather may be your orthodontist will advice you to go for extraction of third molar (wisdom tooth) as its eruption may be the cause of proclination of the teeth. For more info on braces you can read the following articles from our website... www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-braces-21.aspx

Free Dental Consultation