I had 9 upper teeth pulled 8 weeks ago and had my denture put in the same day. As time passed, the denture became so loose, it was relined 3 days ago. The problem is that my gums seem to swell and shrink. Since it was relined, the second day it fit good, but today its so loose I have to hold it in while talking and can't eat. Is this normal? What do I do? My dentist said he never heard of gums shrinking and expanding, but I don't know of any other reason why the denture fits some times and not others. Help...Please

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - March - 2010, at 20:00 PM

• The shrinkage and expansion of gums is there if you are suffering from some systemic disease like high blood ressure and if you are taking the medication like diuretics. That causes this problem. but in that case also the denture should not be very loose. Ideally the dentutre which is given immediately after the extraction and is called as the immediate denture should be changed after the complete healing of the gums  It can be changed after three months of extraction. For more info on dentures you can visit the following link on our website.....http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dentures-50.aspx

Free Dental Consultation