I have had my new complete set of bottom dentures for about a week. (No teeth left on bottom). My dentist did tell me that I may have to come back for two implants if I was unable to keep these dentures in or to eat properly. This has turned out to be the case; I can talk for only a short time before the dentures become loose, and I am unable to eat any foods that entail chewing. My dentist didn't mention anything about "relining". Would that help me? Dental implants would take ALL of my retirement savings; leaving me $600.00 monthly social security payments to live on for life. Is there a particular denture cream that holds better than most? Like, perhaps, "Secure Denture Adhesive". Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - December - 2010, at 19:44 PM

• There are always some problems with lower complete dentures as bone support is less and moresoever because of tongue movement it is difficult to adjust the lower dentures. There is always stability not the retention like in upper dentures. So you have to become used lower dentures and it takes time. You should practise stablising the dentures while taking and eating with the tongue movements and with time you may be able to adjust with the lower dentures. Initially you may use some adhesive paste (these are available otc). Relining is done in old dentures when they become lose because of bone resorption. In your case, the dentures are new, I donot thing that relining is really going to help you. For more info on denture problems and info on getting used to these dentures you can read the following article... www.identalhub.com/dental-what-can-be-complications-with-complete-dentures-730.aspx

Free Dental Consultation