From was young. I've always remembered my gum being black at the front. I'm starting to wonder if thats normal?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - January - 2012, at 01:39 AM

• Dark gums can occur because of genetics or racial/ physiologic pigmentation because of more of melanin or can occur because of certain diseases such as Addison’s disease, peutz jeghers syndrome or in case of von Recklinghausen disease. Some medications and poor oral hygiene can also lead to dark gums. Dark gums due to physiologic pigmentation are normal. Treatment of dark gums is possible. If dark gums are because of poor oral hygiene, then patient is advised to maintain good oral hygiene and dental cleaning and root planning may also be required. If there is physiologic dark pigmentation present, then by gum surgery or by gum bleaching, dark gums can be made natural pink. Dark colored outer layer is removed and pink aesthetic looking gums will appear. Gum bleaching is a painless and non-invasive procedure and give good results. For more info on causes and treatment of dark gums, refer to…..

Free Dental Consultation