i woke up yesterday and my mouth was swollen on te right side and my gums are inflammed. should i go to the ER?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Heather

Heather 27 - May - 2011, at 07:41 AM

• Thanks for your reply. I went to the dentist last night and he put me on Amoxicillin and told me to come back in a week. Did some research and it seems like my symptoms are in line with what's known as Bells Palsy. Which due to the fact that it is my molar and infection would swell the area under my ear, which in turn would put pressure on the nerve that runs through there and controls the whole right side of my face, it seems likely that that's the case. Hopefully now that I'm on antibiotics this will begin to go away. Thank you

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - May - 2011, at 19:29 PM

• The problem in the eye, right side of tongue and the jaw is all because of abscesed tooth. Due to abscess, the nerve is compressed causing all the problems. Till you start with treatment, this may keep on increasing so it is better you visit your dentist ASAP. Till that time keep that area clean. The treatment for abscessed tooth will be to go for Root Canal Treatment of the abscessed tooth in which the abscess will be drained and only then you will get relief from this.

• Heather

Heather 25 - May - 2011, at 16:23 PM

• I have an abscessed molar tooth that has been bother me for about a week or so. The pain is getting a lot worse and spreading. It spread from the right back portion of my upper and lower jaw to my ear and the right side of my lower lip, also right side of my tongue started getting numb. Last night and today my throat and gland on that side has become painful too and weirdly enough my right eye is being affected. It's so dry I could barely keep my contact in and I can't squeeze it shut tightly. I can close it, but when washing my face, I couldn't close it tight enough to keep soap out of it. Ouch! My face isn't really noticeably swollen, but it feels like it is. I have a dentist appt. tomorrow night but with the eye development I'm kind freaking out. Don't want to miss work if it will be okay until tomorrow night. There doesn't seem to be any info on eyes being affected by this, so I'm not sure if it's too serious to wait. Ill be grateful for any info. Thanks

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - November - 2010, at 19:38 PM

• If you are in acute pain also and is not getting the appointment from the dentist the you may go to ER. They will prescribe you the medication but the treatment will be done by the dentist. This swelling and inflammation can be because of some infection in the decayed tooth. The dentist will take the X-ray and find out the cause and do the treatment. If it is because of the decayed tooth then you may have to get the root canal treatment. For more info on abcessed teeth you can visit thefollowing link....www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation