I had a root canal 3 years ago on a bottom right side molar. After the root canal there wasn't much of the tooth left. There was a giant hole in the center of the tooth. Due to financial problems I was unable to afford a crown. Just last year I saved enough to have a temporary build up. My dentist said it was a 50 50 chance that I could get some time out of the temporary build up bc there was very little tooth left..I mostly did the temporary just for cosmetic reasons I didn't like seeing the giant hole. Last week part of the actual tooth broke off bt the tooth and the build up part. Leaving me with just the build up and the left side of tooth. Then last night the build up came out. Leaving me with only the left side of the tooth and the very big hole in my gum where the stuff was. My question is I still don't have money for the dentist can I just pull what is left of the tooth and will the hole in the gum close up just like when u lose a tooth. I wasn't sure since I had a the root canal. Also there is a really bad taste and oder now in my mouth from where the temporary fell out. I don't have pain just some tenderness around the hole on the gum. The gum is tender. I can eat and drink with out pain just discomfort....please help bc I can't afford to go to the dentist

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 21 - September - 2011, at 01:41 AM

  • Tooth becomes brittle after root canal procedure so capping is given on the tooth. If there is much of loss of tooth structure, then post and core is done to provide strength to the tooth. It’s always better to save the tooth than getting it pulled out. You can save the tooth by getting post and core procedure done. If you get the tooth extracted, then it’s important that you get the missing tooth replaced with implants or fixed bridges. If the missing tooth is not replaced, then the adjacent teeth will also start shifting towards the missing tooth area leading to periodontal problems in the tooth along with mastication problems. After tooth extraction, the missing tooth space will look more peculiar if not replaced.  You can use some temporary material available commercially to fill the gap as of now. Though the temporary material will keep breaking.  Best option would be to consult a dentist for this and get post and core procedure followed by crown placement on it.  For the tenderness in gums, you can do warm saline rinses for some relief. Maintain a good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly and avoid any food deposits in the root canal treated tooth. Avoid eating from that side of tooth. If you don’t have much money, then you can approach any of the dental schools near your place where treatment is less expensive. For more info on post and core, you can refer to the following article…   http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-post-and-core-280.aspx

Free Dental Consultation