I noticed a bump/lump on my gums almost two months ago. I had a root canal and a wisdom tooth (separate occasions) in that spot in the last two years. This bump has not bothered me with the exception of a few days last week but Tylenol and Advil took all the pain away (it wasn't that severe.) Everyone I know has looked at it and says it is the same color as my gums only slightly redder. No tenderness to the touch (the pain was in my jaw), and it has not changed shape or size (it's about the size of a pea and a half.) I went to my PCP and with one glance he said it's not an infection or abscessed. He said he doesn't know what it is so he referred me to an oral surgeon but my appointment is not for another week and I am really in need of some reassurance.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - July - 2011, at 08:46 AM

• As you have root canal treated tooth in that area and wisdom tooth is already extracted, so it can be either infection in Root Canal treated tooth or some gum problem. If root canal treated tooth gets infected again then sometimes bump is there and it is not very painful as the infection is chronic. In such cases, Re-Root Canal of tooth is attempted. It is difficult to give you definate diagnosis without clinical examination and radiographic examination. It is better you go to your dentist and get an xray done to confirm the diagnosis.  For more info complications after rct you can read this article.. http://www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation