My tooth hurts and the gums around the tooth swell up every morning. I am currently taking antibiotics to treat any infection that may be causing the swelling as well as ibuprofen to relieve the swelling. I would like to see a dentist to correct this problem. I do not need cosmetic work. Thank you.

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - October - 2011, at 00:31 AM

• Swelling of gums around a sore tooth can be because of gum infection or can be because of infection in the tooth or can be because of both gum and tooth infection. If the swelling of gums is because of gum infection, then dental cleaning or gum surgery may be required for it depending on the extent of infection. If there is infection in the tooth present, then to treat the infection in the tooth, root canal treatment followed by crown is given to the patient. If the tooth is fractured and crack line is present on the cervical portion of the root or vertical crack line is present, then tooth extraction may also be required. It is advised to take pain meds and antibiotics after consultation of dentist only. Without clinical examination, we can’t make an exact diagnosis. You have to visit your dentist for exact diagnosis and to get treatment for the problem.  You can do warm saline rinses to reduce the swelling and maintain good oral hygiene to avoid infections. Avoid eating from that side of the tooth.  For more info on cause of tooth ache, you can refer to following article…

Free Dental Consultation