I am uninsured and have waited six weeks for my appointment at a clinic that charges fees on a sliding scale based on the patients income. Meanwhile, I went to a neighborhood dentist because my tooth became very painful. I explained my situation, paid $100 for x-rays and an exam. The dentist I saw said my tooth needed either extraction or a root canal/crown, and suggested the use of antibiotics and pain meds to help me until I could get into the clinic a week later, because treatment would likely be much more affordable if I could hang on till then. My question is this: I was prescribed enough pain meds to last only a few days. When I called to request a refill, the dentist I saw was off, and I was told since I would not be having the procedure done in their office, I would have to ask the clinic for a prescription. The clinic can not see me for three more days. Doesn't the first office have an obligation to treat me until I am able to be seen by the clinic?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - November - 2011, at 02:01 AM

• Pain in your tooth can be because of deep caries in the tooth or can be because of dental abscess in relation to the tooth. To treat the tooth with dental abscess, root canal treatment or tooth extraction is done to drain the abscess. To reduce infection, antibiotics are given to the patient. Antibiotics are to be taken for 3-5 days. As of now, you can take the antibiotics and pain meds given to you. If there are no meds left now and even now there is severe pain, then you can request your dentist once more for refill. After 3 days, you can visit the clinic where you desire to get treatment from. He may or may not prescribe you meds and will continue with procedure. By that time,  avoid eating fro that side of the tooth. You can also do warm saline rinses to localize the infection.  Take more of fluids and take rest. If there is an option between tooth extraction and root canal treatment, then better get root canal treatment done followed by dental crown. It is always better to save a tooth than pulling it out.  For more info on root canal treatment, refer to…   http://www.identalhub.com/article_procedure-for-root-canal-therapy-105.aspx

Free Dental Consultation