i have quite a few fillings. Is it possible to have these dark fillings replaced with "teeth colored" fillings? Is this considered a cosmetic procedure? thank you

Leave Comment


  • Rebecca

    Rebecca 01 - December - 2011, at 08:26 AM

  • thank you for this most helpful information.

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 01 - December - 2011, at 01:26 AM

  • You must be having amalgam fillings in your teeth. Amalgam fillings have high strength but they are unaesthetic. You can get your fillings replaced with tooth colored fillings. You can get your amalgam filling replaced with composite filling material. Composites are resin based esthetic filling material which can be bonded to the tooth structure. Composite fillings are of 2 types: Indirect types filling and direst type filling. If the cavity size is big, then indirect type of dental filling that is composite inlays or onlays are given. In direct type of fillings, filling is placed directly in patient’s mouth. If amalgam fillings are fractured, then whole of the filling has to be removed and refilling is done whereas in case of fracture of composite fillings, the whole filling is not removed and replaced. Composite fillings can be repaired.   Getting teeth colored, composite restorations is considered as a cosmetic procedure. For more info on composite filling material, refer to….   http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-are-composites-40.aspx

Free Dental Consultation