Dear Mam/Sir, I have a habit of unconsciously holding my saliva in my mouth while sleeping. This started recently since past 1 year. I feel very uncomfortable and have to get up twice or thrice at midnight to spit it out. I did not have this habit previously. SOmetimes I unconsciously swallow it or inhale it too. I feel very uncomfortable when it happens as my upper nasal passage burns when it happens. What is the solution for this? Will this affect my teeth in any way as i might be holding it for 3-4 hours at a stretch? And when i swallow it will it be harmful for my health. I brush twice a day and I am a pure vegetarian too. My oral hygiene is good except for this problem. Please advice.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - December - 2010, at 19:33 PM

• You are not having any disease but it is a habbit which you have developed when you wore the retainers. Now conciously you have to break the habbit as you are not doing swallowing at night.

• Mting

Mting 27 - December - 2010, at 16:23 PM

• I also have the same problem. I have an unconscious habit of holding saliva in my mouth while sleeping. It's very uncomfortable as I have to go to the bathroom first thing when I wake up to spit it out. It all started when I began wearing retainers before. But after years of not wearing it anymore I still have the salivating problem. Pls advise

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 15 - June - 2010, at 18:27 PM

• It may be either you are under stress or your oral hygeine is poor. For good oral hygeine brushing twice is not enough. You have to floss daily ,clean the tongue and you should go to dentist after every six months. But if you are doing all the things then some kind of stress may be the cause. If you  want to know more about the oral hygeine you can visit the following link on our website.....http://www.identalhub.com/article_good-oral-hygiene-231.aspx

Free Dental Consultation