my son had a deep cleaning yesterday and was given chlorhexidine mouthwash by the dental hygienist. I advised him NOT TO USE it since chlorine caused him asthma attacks when he was a child. Since then he avoids anything possibly containing chlorine. We use these chlorhexidine products to scrub before C-Sections etc... Sometimes though seeing allergic reactions to the skin. Thanx for responding. Rita

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 13 - April - 2011, at 19:47 PM

  • If you son is allergic to chlorine then it is better if avoids chlorhexidine mouthwash. There is no need of using any medicated mouthwash. He can simply do warm saline rinses which are quite effective and there is no side effect also. The basis purpose of mouthwash is to avoid any secondary infection  and warm saline rinses serves the purpose. Along with maintaining good oral hygiene, which he can do by doing proper brushing, flossing and cleaning the tongue. For more info on oral hygiene you can read this article...

Free Dental Consultation