Hello, I noticed a small pimple-like bump on my gums about a month ago. After a bit of research, I've come to suspect that it is an abscess. What seems uncommon, from what I've read, is that I've experienced little to no pain- only an occasional dull ache. My question is: if I'm experiencing little pain, and if it has only manifested for a month, is it possible that this can be treated by antibiotics alone? Or will a root canal or extraction be almost certainly necessary?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - June - 2011, at 20:06 PM

• In case of chronic infection, it is possible to have an abscessed tooth with a dull pain. Sometimes when the infection is chronic, the patient donot feel any pain or he can feel slight discomfort. It is only in case of acute infection there is acute pain. After getting the xray and clinical examination only it can be decided whether the tooth can be root canal treated or not or it has to be pulled out. The xray shows the extent of infection and the treatment plan is decided accordingly. For more info on abscessed tooth you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation