Hi. I'm a 16 year old girl who has had braces for about a year and a half. I have a few questions : My dentist told me he had two solutions for my overbite. He gave me a rubber band thing to make my bottom ones come out with my top ones, but that made my chin look weird when I had them on so I stopped. So his other solution was to take off 2 teeth from my upper teeth. I am worried about this. Will it make my lips look smaller? and how will this affect my jaw/chin? I have a very prominent jawline and will be getting botox into it. Its a 5 minute procedure and will severely help with my jaw-line. Should I go through with this before/after getting my teeth put out? How will this affect my lips? I like how they are now. My upper lip is very big and plump, will curing my overbite affect this? What will taking out 2 of my teeth do to my lips/teeth/jaw/chin? Thank you very much!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - July - 2011, at 19:13 PM

• For overbite cases , getting extractions done is very normal. As you are already 16 years of age and growth spurts are almost completed, the rubber bands are not going to be much effective. Getting extractions and then moving the teeth backwards to fill the gap is the normal procedure to treat overbite. How this will affect your lips, jawline or your chin can not be commented upon without doing analysis which includes Ceph calculations, models and clinical examination. You have to discuss this with your Orthodontist who can show you the profile which you are going to get after extractions. If you like the profile then you can go ahead with treatment. For more info on braces you can read these articles of your choice.. http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-braces-21.aspx

Free Dental Consultation