I have had increasing sensitivity with my top left big front tooth for a few years. it has also been becoming increasingly discoloured and yellow. I have seen 2 different dentists, the first one took an X-ray and told me that there was a hairline crack, and that my tooth was dying. the was very little nerve left. my main intention was to whiten my teeth (as my teeth are quite yellow, with the affected tooth even more so). he told me just to leave my teeth alone, and wait for the tooth to die, as my pain was not debilitating. i waited for nearly another year before i decided i could not live with my discoloured teeth anymore. i went to another dentist, and asked for a root canal, crowning and whitening. and she also told me the same thing: just leave the tooth alone until the pain is really really bad. in the meantime i can bleach my teeth, but she advised against the root canal, as i was only experiencing sensitivity, not pain. 1) as my tooth is already dying, shouldnt i do a root canal and save it before it gets infected/has to be extracted? why are both dentists advising me against the root canal? regardless whether or not there's only sensitivity, and no pain. 2) the second dentist explained that the crowning on the tooth would not match my other tooth, so said that i would have to crown the other one as well. i was receptive and open to that idea, yet she also advised against the root canal. basically, i am just confused. from what i have read online, what i need is a root canal. i do not understand why both dentists are telling me not to do so. i do not want to wait until the pain is excruciating before i see the dentist. and i do not want to have my tooth extracted when it is too late. what should i do?

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 31 - May - 2011, at 10:41 AM

  • If the damage is more and your dentist says that root canal treatment will not be successful then you have to get the tooth pulled out. After that you can go for go for dental implant. If you are not satisfied with diagnosis of your dentist then you can take second opinion.

  • karla

    karla 31 - May - 2011, at 00:05 AM

  • my dentist refuses to do rootcanal on my tooth because she said that it will not be strong enough and it will just lead to extraction in around 6 month. My situation is: i have this messed tooth, not hurting at all, and the nerves died already. I got bumps on my gums because of abcess, then eventually it went out after a month. Now i told my dentist to do a root canal, and she open my tooth, then she said that the damages in my tooth is deeper than the required depth of the damage tooth to the gums. she said that she can do the root canal but it wont be effective, so she is telling me to extract it.

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 14 - July - 2010, at 19:47 PM

  • If you have senstivity and the tooth has become discoloured that means the pulp is getting necrosed . You have to go for the root canal treatment and above that you have to go for the crowning. Now full ceramic crowns are there and in that the esthetics are very good. They match exactly with the color of the adjacent tooth. If you want to go for the bleaching then you have to get it done before getting the crown because the crown can not be bleached and if you go for whitening afterwards there are chances that the colour will not match . For more info on root canal treatment you can visit the following link on our website.....http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspxwww.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation