i had toothache on monday and worked all day. Tuesday pain was severe and so i missed work and went to the dentist who said i had an abcessed tooth and gave me penicillin and vicodin for the pain. My face is swollen and it has went down some put pain is still severe and pain meds do not help but for maybe an hour or so. I cannot sleep and its killing me.How long should it take for the antibiotics to work and for the swelling to go down? my face was numb and now its sweling again and is very hot to the touch and red where its swollen. Should i be worried because i dont feel like its gettin better and its been 4 days? getting scared to death and pain is killing me. I need help before i go crazy please please

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - January - 2011, at 06:22 AM

• The pain and swelling in the abcessed tooth is normal. You have to take the medication on time and regularly. The antibiotcs starts working after three days and the swelling and pain tarts receeding. Mean time take your medicines regularly and maintain very good oral hygeine. Do warm saline rinses if it helps. When the pain and sweling goes you have to visit your dentist who after taking X-ray will decide whether the tooth can be saved or not If it can be saved then you have to go for root canal treatment otherwise you have to get the tooth pulled out. For more info on abcessed tooth you can visit the following link....www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation