my daughter had her first session for root canal but she cant endure the pain even if with anesthesia. so i decided to discontinue it and search for an option. i read about porcelain crown jacket. would it be ok to discontinue the session then proceed to the porcelain crown jacket

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - August - 2011, at 06:16 AM

• There is no alternative for root canal apart from pulling out the tooth. Apicoectomy can be done but it is done in cases of failure of root canal.  Root canal procedure is done when the infection reaches the soft tissue, the nerve that is the pulp of the tooth. The pain will not go till you get the root canal procedure done. If your daughter is finding it too painful, then the dentist can do the procedure under sedation. In cases of acute infection, the tooth doesn’t respond to local anesthesia. In such cases, antibiotics can be taken before the procedure after consulting the dentist. Antibiotics reduce the infection to some extent.  Porcelain jacket crowns are given after the root canal procedure is over and when there is no pain. The tooth becomes brittle after the root canal that is why they are given.  The pain and discomfort will not go by the porcelain jacket crown. For that, root canal is necessary. So it’s better that you continue with the root canal therapy. Completion of root canal is very important for the overall success of the treatment.  For more info on alternatives to root canal therapy, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_alternatives-to-a-root-canal-treatment-302.aspx

Free Dental Consultation