Last december I developed the familiar pain of tooth infection in my upper right back tooth. (I say familiar because I get on at least once a year, for the past 5) I went to the dentist and even though no infection was detected on the x-rays, he suggested a root canal. Before this could be done, I felt a popping sensation above the root line, followed by a draining sensation. The pressure from above the tooth root, was then under the cheek bone. It wasn't as painful as the tooth pressure, so I used the prescription for penecilin from the dentist and the pressure waned to the point that I didn't get the RC. However, I still have a dull ache on the right side, that't usually easy to ignore. Occasionally, sharp pain will shoot from my cheek either to my temple or down to the jawline. And most recently, I feel "off" and unable to focus on work. The whole thing reminds me of a staph infection. Will antiboitics clear this up? It's not in the tooth area anymore, so is there a different type of doctor to see? Will having the tooth worked on drain an infection that far up? What's the best way to handle this? Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - March - 2011, at 10:53 AM

• It looks like you have got a intraoral sinus in relation to the infected tooth. When the tooth is infected some times it starts draining in the form of sinus tract. You should not ignore it and taking antibioticsz will help in subsiding it for some time but it will not be treated. for the treatment you have to get the root canal treatment which will dain the infection and your tooth will be symptom free. For more info on root canal treatment you can visit the following link...www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-root-canal-therapy-rct-295.aspx

Free Dental Consultation